Monday, August 29, 2011

Accidents Happen

While raising my son, I always assured him that it was ok if he had an accident which broke or damaged something. I never showed any kind of upset or anger if it was an honest mistake. "Accidents Happen" and I encouraged him to learn from it and move on.

Well, about 10 days ago, I was driving to work, minding my own business, and while I was moving at approximately 40mph, I was suddenly hit from behind like I was standing still. Crash!! Boom!! I looked in my mirror and saw the bottom of the bumper of a car that was trying to run up my trunk. When everything settled down, I got out of the car and went to see if the other driver was ok. She said she was ok as she looked at me  with an "empty stair". She was at least 20 years my senior and mind you, I am 58 yr old. With my neck hurting and succumbing to an immediate headache, I sadly had an anger management problem. I asked her " How the "BLEEP" can you hit a car that is driving away from you with an impact like I was standing still?" When I could not get a plausible answer, I had to accept the fact that I was a victim of poor judgement and lack of keeping your car under control. I apologized for my outburst, called the Sheriffs department and we filed the report.

I am still a little upset with myself for my behavior and had to remind myself about the "Accidents Happen" position I always took with my son. This will surely be classified as an Accident in the paperwork. Please remember, that we are all responsible for keeping the front of our vehicles under  control. Although my injury is considered mild to moderate, this event has reminded me how our lives can be changed in an instant.

Since the accident, I have had to trade my Gym time for Chiropractic and Massage time. I am not too fond of the "adjustments" I get from the Chiropractor but they do appear to be helping. I do enjoy my "after adjustment" massage though. No "Free Weights" for awhile since the neck, traps and back have been disturbed. I do miss the Gym. I will get back into my Cardio routine in a few days. I have had to monitor my calorie intake since I am not burning the usual 500-600 per workout. The last thing I want to do is gain weight since I have worked so hard to shed it.

Lessons Re-learned:

  1. Always maintain control of the front of your car.
  2. Never take a moment of your good health for granted.
  3. Always wear your seat-belt as I do.
  4. Value your family and friends in good times or bad as your life can change in an instant. 
  5. And most difficult for me, was to forgive the person who caused me a disruption in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment