Thursday, November 11, 2010

Getting Stronger

It's been so long since my last post. So much is happening and I sometime struggle with how to put things into words. I need to learn how to condense my thoughts. :)

On November 4th, I had Carpal Tunnel Surgery on my left hand as well as a release of a middle "trigger finger". I had the right hand done a few months ago and am so thrilled to get this behind me and have my hands and fingers be more functional. Bandage and Stitches come out on the 16th. After that, I should be 100% strength in a few weeks. The surgery interrupted some of my training, but I resumed my Cardio workouts after the being away for the first 5 days of recovery.

All of October and part of November has been dedicated to a new direction in my training plan to Re-Engineer my life. I have focused on Strength and Core Training exercises at least 3 days per week along with my almost daily Cardio. I started with machines then quickly moved to free weights after educating myself and learning how free weights can be more effective when using the correct technique. The result has been amazing. I have become stronger and the transformation of my body is hard to believe. Although I still have some weight to lose and much tone to develop, I am loving the way I feel and actually liking my appearance. I don't remember a time when my upper body actually had "definition". It's also fun to buy clothes in other than the "Big & Tall" shop.

I have also been increasing my knowledge on how I can continue to improve my eating plan. Besides transitioning from Vegetarian to Vegan a few months ago, I am looking into how I can assure that my diet is as Alkaline as possible. The pH Miracle, by Robert O. Young, Ph.D and Shelley Redford Young has been my primary reference. It is packed with incredible, eye opening, knowledge and data that would make anyone want to learn more about the food choices we make and how they are directly related to illness and diet. I encourage you to read it.

My weight loss has slowed, as I expected it would, with me adding more muscle mass and calories to my daily food intake (mainly more protein). However, I am not as concerned as I used to be about the velocity of weight loss. I have therefore traded off the target date of December 31 for weigh in of 175 lbs. for a commitment to continued strength training and daily exercise. With my commitment to a plan, plus arming myself with knowledge, I now know that with proper diet and regular exersice, my desired weight be achieved.

I share this enthusiasm not because I believe "it's all about me", but because I believe "it's all about you"!! Those of you who are struggling with weight and wishing things could be different. Those of you suffering with hypertension and diabetes associated with diet. Those of you who feel overwhelmed at the thought of losing pounds and reducing clothes sizes. Those of you who wake up everyday and say to yourself, "I am going to start today" and never do. Those of you who give in to the temptation of making the unhealthy food choice when healthy choices are at hand.

I am living proof that it can be done. No business is sponsoring or endorsing me to say these things. Once you accept the fact that something has to be done, you have taking the biggest step in moving toward healthy living. Once you accept the fact that the 30, 50, 100, 150lbs. will not be shed overnight, you have removed all the stress and accompanying barriers to engaging in a plan. Arm yourself with knowledge, the internet is flooding with it. Set incremental realistic goals, visualize the results, celebrate along the way and love yourself enough to become a healthier, happier person.

You are the only one that can be an expert on this subject for you. I am the expert for me. See your Doctor, have a physical and blood tests, tell your Doctor what you are planning to do and go for it. ONE DAY AT A TIME!! ONE POUND AT A TIME. Its never too late.

I close this post by thanking  the core group of Tweeps that communicate with me regularly on Twitter.  You continue to inspire me and I value the community. You know who you are. I also close with the hope that at least one person who desires to make a change in their life is reading this and becomes inspired to do so. I will always be here to support you. Join me on the adventure of Healthy Living.

2 comments:

  1. Good on you Tony, I am sure that you will continue to be an inspiration to others, and to your own self :-)

    ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony,
    You and I share a lot in common. As I read your post, I am reading my own story. I look forward to your updates. Perhaps you can help me to stay focused on my new vegetarian lifestyle change.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete