Monday, August 23, 2010

Drastic Changes

I made a necessary Drastic Change in my relationship with food in November, 2009 after gaining back nearly all the 70lbs. I lost in 2007. At some point in October, 2009, I watched Dr. Oz. on TV, I felt inspired to take another hard look at my relationship with food. I took the Real Age Test and tested at 77.2 yrs old; hardly something to get excited about when my chronological age was 57.

I read YOU: On a Diet - Dr. Oz and Dr. Roizen's Guide to Losing Weight. The book really got me motivated to learn as much as I could about Diet and Nutrition. I immersed myself in books and articles on nutrition; steering clear of any book or article about "Dieting". In order for me to succeed in conquering obesity and maintaining a healthy weight, I finally accepted the fact that I needed to make a change in my relationship with food.

It was becoming clear to me that a diet consisting of Whole Grains, Fruits and Vegetables was the most healthy and healing lifestyle to consider. Around the same time I was researching Diet and Nutrition, I opened a Twitter account. Being a Twitter novice, I began searching keywords like healthy living, vegetarian, vegan, diet and exercise. I read hundreds of Tweets, which lead me to countless links on benefits of Plant Based Diet and Exercise. On November 16, 2009 I weighed in at 258lbs. On that day I made a commitment to make the Drastic Change. I made the commitment to start eating for nourishment and no longer solely for comfort. I also committed to regular exercise. Suffering with Osteoarthritis in my left ankle, I needed to consider only low-impact work so I decided to start with stationary bike and Elliptical work. I would make a plan, set realistic incremental goals, work the plan, visualize desired results, succeed and reward myself.

Today, I weighed in at 207lbs; a 51 pound weight loss since I turned Vegetarian. I took the Real Age Test again and scored 57.6yrs old; ironically my actual biological age. Drastic Changes rewarded me with significant positive results. I treated myself to some new clothes at sizes that were much easier to find. No more "Big and Tall" store for me. My next goal is 200lbs. on my birthday, September 16. My target weight is 175lbs. by the last day of 2010. Just for fun, I plan to take the Real Age Test on December 31, 2010 and hopefully score younger than my actual biological age.

3 comments:

  1. It is interesting how one thing can make a HUGE difference. Good for you for making that change. I'm sure you feel better and have an awesome outlook on life at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fantastic work you're doing for yourself, Tony! You are so inspirational -- thank you for sharing your story along the way!!! Can't wait to celebrate the next milestone with you!

    ReplyDelete